The School Counselors at First Flight High School help all students address developmental needs. Acting as student's advocate, the role or a school counselor is to provide and deliver a comprehensive school counseling program encouraging all students' academic, career and social/emotional development and helping all students in maximizing their student achievement (American School Counselor Association).
From your Counselors at First Flight High School:
We are here to support you in any way possible during these unpredictable times. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need our support. In an effort to simplify and streamline information from the First Flight High School Counseling Center, we have included very important information on Scholarships, College of the Albemarle, Registration for next year and other details.
Counseling and Office Hours:
Counselors are available during their office hours 9:00-11:00AM Monday-Friday via email
- Local Scholarship packages are due at First Flight High School on Friday, March 27th from 9:00AM- 12:00PM. Bins will be placed in the rotunda
- Remember that the Outer Banks Community Foundation Scholarships are online and are due March 29th at 11:59PM
- Recommendation letters can be dropped off at First Flight High School before the March 27th deadline. Teachers can place them in Mrs. Wheless’ teacher mailbox at First Flight or emailed to her at firstname.lastname@example.org
COA- Dual Enrollment:
- COA paperwork can be dropped off at school from 9:00 until noon on Friday, March 27th If students are unable to come to the school building, they can scan and email the paperwork to Ms. Beth Garrett at email@example.com
- Returning COA students who were unable to attend the registration session with Mrs. Cross will receive an email from Ms. Garrett with next steps
- Students will be emailed a Google Doc Survey Form which asks for the best way/phone number to communicate with their counselors
- Counselors will call or email students regarding FFHS Registration Forms. If students do not return communication with their counselor after several attempts (phone calls and or emails), classes will be scheduled based on the Registration Form and teacher recommendations. If counselors do not have your Registration Forms, the counselors will schedule classes for those students.
Mrs. Mitchell-Counseling Secretary:
If you need transcripts, please email Mrs. Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will email it to you or give you a pick up time depending on the need.
Contact information for FFHS Counselors:
- Mrs. Amy White (Lead Counselor) Alphabet H-N; email@example.com
- Mrs. Lisa Wheless Alphabet A-G; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Beth Garrett Alphabet O-Z; email@example.com
Scholarships are live!
The Local Scholarship Packet for FFHS Seniors is now open. Please make sure to read the "Local Scholarship Packet" tab and all scholarships to ensure you meet the criteria and complete your applications correctly. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Lisa Wheless at firstname.lastname@example.org Good luck!
Meet the counselors here!
Lisa Wheless, Counselor (last names A-G)
email@example.com | 252-449-7000 EXT 2432
My name is Lisa Wheless and this is my ninth year at First Flight High School. I have 15 years all together as a school counselor in Dare County.
I was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina, to a military dad and a mom from Czechoslovakia. I am one of five children and am an identical twin. I have my BA in Art History from Chapel Hill (where my twin and I played tennis) and my MEd from Campbell University in School Guidance and Counseling. I am married with two children.
I feel I have found my calling as a counselor and am excited to work with young adults as a career.
Amy White, Lead Counselor, (last names H-N)
firstname.lastname@example.org | 252-449-7000 EXT 2443
Hi. My name is Amy White and this is my fifth year at FFHS. I have been a school counselor for 17 years, starting my career in South Florida. I’m originally from Pittsburgh, PA (Go Steelers!). I currently live in Kill Devil Hills with my husband and daughter. I enjoy working with the students to provide academic, social/emotional support and college/career planning. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or you need assistance.
My name is Beth Garrett and I have been working as a school counselor since 2013. I graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University with my M.Ed. in Counselor Education. Prior to that I lived in Delray Beach, Florida for eight years. I attended Florida Atlantic University where I earned my BA in English. I love my son, the beach and working with young people to support their academic, occupational, and social/emotional needs.
Greetings! I’m Mary Jo Windley and this is my first year at First Flight High School. My background includes career planning and development experience at both high school and university levels. I’m excited to be returning to our home community of Kill Devil Hills. Prior to arriving in Dare County Schools, I enjoyed a career in healthcare and was a business & information technology educator. I’m eager to assist students in career exploration, planning, and educational opportunities. Contact me if I may be of assistance.
Debbie Mitchell, Secretary
email@example.com | 252-449-7000 EXT 2444
My name is Debbie Mitchell. I am a counseling secretary and I have been employed with the Dare County Schools for 16 years. I am originally from upstate New York and I am a huge Appalachian State fan. I currently live in Kill Devil Hills with my husband and my three dogs, but I have two grown sons and three granddaughters and a grandson. I enjoy working in the counseling center and helping students any way I can.